Skydiving may be one of the things you’ve seen on TV, and want to try out. It may be a lost bet, or a surging adrenaline withdrawal, this is what it comes down to. If you’re new to skydiving, you should know the types you can sign up for.
- Static jump: This is the beginner level (which something tells us you’ll be less interested in) jump where you’ll be dropped from a height of 3000 feet, you’ll be attached to a line from a plane and the parachute pops open automatically after 3 seconds of freefall. You don’t really have to do anything.
- Tandem jump: This is the kind of jump where you’re strapped on with an expert and you jump together. This takes place from a height of 10000+ feet and requires about 2-3 days of training.
- Accelerated Freefall jump: This is the big serious one where you’re dropped alone from 13000+ feet and plummet to your doom armed with nothing but a parachute that you must spend weeks learning how to operate. Of course, this one needs extensive training and experience.
Here are five places in India that provide you this experience:
- Mysore, Karnataka:
Cost: Rs. 33000 for Tandem jump with video and Rs. 37500 for accelerated freefall with video.
Mysore hosts several skydiving camps at the foothills of the Chamunda hills. It’s an up and coming skydiving destination and is a few hours from the main hub of Bengaluru.
- Dhana, Madhya Pradesh:
Cost: Rs. 12000-20000 plus taxes for Static jumps, Rs. 40000 plus taxes for Tandem jumps. Prices are inclusive of training, jumping, photography, videography, meals, certificate of jump, and accommodation.
Dhana is a tiny little hamlet located east of Bhopal. It holds the distinction of being the first skydiving camp in India. Plummet into the picturesque, magnificent landscape and know what it feels like to truly let loose.
- Aamby Valley, Maharashtra:
Cost: Weekday Tandem Jumps (Mon – Thurs) – INR 25, 000; Weekend Tandem Jumps (Fri – Sun) – INR 30,000. Prices are inclusive of tax, video and photo CD.
Aamby Valley currently provides only 10000 feet Tandem drops. This beautiful valley, located about 2 hours from the hub in Mumbai is the one of the most exhilarating falls you can experience in your lifetime.
- Deesa, Gujarat:
Cost: Static Line Jumps – Rs. 16,500; Tandem Jumps – Rs. 33,500; Accelerated Free falls – Rs. 37,500
A clear blue sky, a quaint lakeside city and miles to descend into. Deesa is the first town to be a certified drop zone in India. The best part about Deesa is that it’s inclusive of all levels of experience and expertise, offering a wide range of services. This makes it a haven for all people who are enthusiastic about skydiving, pro or not.
- –Cost: Static Jumps – INR 18,000 (1 jump) to 62,000 (5 jumps); Tandem Jump – INR 27,000.
Skydiving in Pondicherry has been in vogue since 2012. This quiet town harbors a thrilling fall into the French colonial tapestry and cements its position as one of the best skydiving locales in the country.